Heavy Equipment Operator - TEMP TO HIRE, (J/O#5145)
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
· Repair streets and alleys through the use of a jack hammer, pick, or sledge hammer for breaking rock, pavement, asphalt, or other surfaces.
· Must be able to spread, pack, and finish gravel, rock, asphalt, cement, and other material using shovel, hoe, rake, float, trowel, plate compactor, etc.
· Repair streets by filling potholes, cleaning and repairing storm sewer catch basins, storm drains, ditches and other drainage structures.
· Maintain street right of ways by trimming or removing trees and underbrush with chain saws, axes or machetes.
· Must possess ability to drive and operate a variety of trucks and roller compactors.
· Must be able to clean equipment and perform minor servicing activities including adding fuel, oil, coolants, and lubricants.
· Must possess ability to set up and remove traffic control devices such as cones, barriers, flares, flashers, flags, etc.
· Must occasionally direct traffic around construction zones.
· Individual must have strength to pull, lift, and push 50 pound objects on a frequent basis and up to 100+ pounds (like a bag of cement) on a frequent basis.
· Individual must possess the flexibility to bend, twist, reach; have the mobility to climb, crawl, walk; have the dexterity to operate machinery and tools on uneven surfaces, etc; and the stamina to exert self throughout the day in all weather conditions.
· Individual must possess sufficient skill in foot/eye/hand coordination to perform the above described duties with tools and equipment available.
· Skill in performing minor repairs and performing preventative maintenance of vehicles, equipment and tools.
· Must also possess a general knowledge of safety procedures.
· Individual must possess a valid commercial driver's license, class B minimum. Individual must possess a High School diploma or equivalent.
· Ability to read and comprehend construction standards and codes.
· Experience in construction trade preferable.
- Much of the work is performed outdoors in inclement weather and during all seasons.
- Some work is performed in confined areas, on slick and wet surfaces.
- Employees are exposed to vibrations, loud continuous noise, offensive smells, dust, dirt, water, injury from moving equipment, insect bites, poison plants, flying objects, slippery surfaces and hazardous materials.